Basseterre, St. Kitts (31 January, 2019) – The United Kingdom has published a White Paper which proposes that from 2021, UK Immigration Rules will apply to European Union (EU) and non-European Union migrants alike in a single immigration system which selects people on their skills and talent as opposed to their nationality.
It is also important to note the following:
- The introduction of an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) scheme similar to the scheme operating in the USA
- An improved system for business, making greater use of technology. Applications will be online and permissions will be granted electronically. A lighter touch sponsorship route will be introduced.
- Greater use of e-gates for low risk travelers
- Greater access for global talent such as top international scientists and start-up companies
- New entry routes fro temporary short-term workers
- No limit for international students and an extended visa period after graduation
- Improved compliance system, making better use of data and technology
- Continuing support for family life and vulnerable persons
- The Common Travel Area allowing travel between the UK, Ireland and the Crown Dependencies will continue